Who We Are
North County Transit District’s services are a vital part of San Diego’s regional transportation network. NCTD moves more than 12 million passengers annually by providing public transportation for North San Diego County. The family of transit services includes:
- The BREEZE bus system
- The COASTER commuter rail service
- LIFT Paratransit
- FLEX rural and on demand service
- The SPRINTER light rail line
Our Mission and Vision
North County Transit District's mission is to deliver safe, convenient, reliable and user-friendly public transportation services. Our vision is to build an integrated transit system that enables our customers to travel easily and efficiently throughout our growing region.
We will achieve this by:
- Placing service to our customers first
- Ensuring the safety and security of our employees and customers
- Delivering high quality transit services
- Developing and maintaining facilities that sustain and promote current and future transportation services
- Securing adequate revenue, protecting our assets and getting the maximum return on the public investment
- Working in partnership with our communities and other stakeholders
- Encouraging innovation, creativity and leadership
Why We Are North County Transit District
The North San Diego County Transit Development Board (NSDCTDB) was created by California Senate Bill 802 on September 20, 1975. The Board was created to plan, construct and operate, directly, or through a contractor, public transit systems in its area of jurisdiction.
On January 1, 2003, a new state law was enacted (SB 1703) that essentially transferred future transit planning, programming, development and construction to SANDAG, San Diego's regional planning agency. The NSDCTDB, referred to as the North County Transit District (NCTD), continued to operate the BREEZE, COASTER and SPRINTER. In this new role, NCTD continues to provide integrated public transit service within the North San Diego County region.
On August 30, 2005, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed AB 1238, which amended the North County Transit District Act to rename the District to North County Transit District (NCTD), thus eliminating the full name North San Diego County Transit Development Board. Although the transit district had commonly been referred to as North County Transit District, this formal name change was effective January 1, 2006.