Monthly Passes (Compass Cards)
Monthly Passes can only be purchased on a Compass Card, a reusable plastic “smart card” that can be reloaded every month. A $2 administration fee is charged for your first card.
Where Do I Buy and Reload My Compass Card?
You have several options to purchase or reload your Compass card. (Initial reduced fare passes must be bought in person.)
1. At Station Ticket Vending Machines
Every COASTER or SPRINTER station has a Ticket Vending Machine (TVM). Compass Cards can also be bought or reloaded at MTS Trolley TVMs.
- Maximum change dispensed is $10.
- No refunds.
- Cash, MasterCard, Visa, credit or debit.
- To reload a card, simply tap it to the TVM reader and follow the steps.
2. Call 511 and say "Compass"
Buy or reload your card by calling 511 and saying “Compass” at the prompt. Friendly operators are available Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Visit the Compass Card (www.511sd.com/compass) site.
4. In Person:
* For 511 online and phone Compass Card orders, please allow up to 7 business days for processing the first card and 72 hours for reloads.
When Is My Monthly Pass Effective?
The Compass Card offers two schedule options for monthly passes:
- Calendar pass – Good from the first day to the last day of the month. These are sold any time between the 20th and 15th of each month.
- 30-day pass – Good for 30 consecutive days from the day of purchase. These are sold at any time.
- Exception: College passes and SPRINTER/BREEZE monthly passes for $59 are ONLY sold on Calendar passes.
How Do I Use My Compass Card?
It's easy! Just tap and ride!
- Before boarding, tap the card flat on the platform’s validator.
- The validator will confirm by beeping and displaying “Thank you.”
- Tap your card every time you transfer to a new train or bus.
To board any BREEZE or MTS bus:
- Board the bus and tap the card flat on the farebox near the driver.
- A beep will confirm the card is valid.
Compass Card Fast Facts
- Senior/Disabled/Medicare Recipients and Youth – The first card must be purchased in person to provide proof of eligibility.
- No refunds for unused monthly passes.
- Metrolink monthly passes can be used each day* for one free transfer to SPRINTER and BREEZE each way. (*Only applies to Oceanside Transit Center)
- Do not bend, punch a hole in, or throw away your Compass Card.
How Do I Protect My Card?
As soon as you buy your new card, register it by calling 511 and saying “Compass” at the prompt. If a registered card is ever lost, stolen or damaged, the remaining value will be transferred to a new card.